Monday 10 January 2011

SPICY CHICK PEAS & VEGETABLE HOT POT

I have had this recipe for many years and I have no idea where it originally came from.

SPICY CHICK PEAS AND VEGETABLE HOT POT (For 4)

2 tblsp oil
1 med onion chopped

1 clove garlic
1 tblsp curry powder
1 teasp cumin powder
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
pinch ground allspice
1 small fresh chillie finely chopped
1 tblsp finely chopped fresh ginger
1 tblsp wholemeal plain flour 2 cups water
1 Large veg stock cube crumbled
2 medium carrots chopped
2 med potatoes chopped
1/2 small cauliflower chopped
250g green beans chopped
1 med apple peeled and chopped
425 can chick peas
200 g plain yoghurt
1 tblsp fresh coriander
¼ cup roasted cashew nuts

Note: I also added a heaped tablespoon of my home made curry mix (see below) as well as the tablespoon of "commercial".  We like it quite spicy and Nigel passed many good comments about this dish.  I also had no cauliflower in the house, so I used some ratatouille from the freezer this time.

Heat oil in large saucepan, add onion, stir over medium heat for about 2 mins or until onion is soft.

Add garlic, curry powder, spices, chillie and ginger, stir over medium heat for 1 min.

Stir in flour over medium heat for 1 min, remove from the heat, gradually stir in combined water and stock cube, stir over medium to high heat until mixture thickens slightly.

Add carrots, potatoes, cauliflower and beans, cover, simmer for about 10 minutes  or until vegetables are tender but crunchy. Add apple, chickpeas, yoghurt and coriander, stir over medium heat until heated through. Sprinkle with nuts before serving.

This dish should be crunchy and tasty, we think it is quite delicious.

Cape Curry Mix

(from Madhur Jaffrey's Ultimate Curry Bible)

2 tblsp oil
5 tblsp whole coriander seeds
2½ tblsp cumin seeds
2½ tblsp urad dal (I substitute lentils)
2 tsp whole peppercorns
1 tsp whole fenugreek seeds
4 tblsp mild red pure chillie powder
2 tblsp red paprika powder


Using a heavy based, medium size cast iron type pot heat the oil and put in coriander and cumin seeds. Stir till a slightly darker shade then empty into a bowl. Roast urad dal in the oil till a shade darker and add to bowl. Then put in peppercorns and fenugreek, roast briefly taking care not to burn, empty into bowl. When all the spices are cool, grind in batches as fine as possible. Mix all together with chillie and paprika. Store in a jar with a tight lid away from the damp and the light.


Keeps well up to one year.

(I use this with most of my curries as it really has a wonderful flavour, but it is quite hot!!)

45 comments:

  1. It looks really good. I can see why this would be a dish you make often. You could always control the heat in the curry mix with the amount of chili powder used? I love mixing my own spice blends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lyndsey it is an excellent mix, as you say you can control the heat. We both like hot and spicy though. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaelyn I am surprised that Nigel enjoys it so much as he is not normally one for vegetarian dishes! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. What time is supper Diane? - gee, I wish I some cooking talent ... it's no wonder I'm a bag of bones ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Graham you have about 90 minutes to get here LOL, Roast chicken and vegetables tonight. If you want to stay vegetarian though |I can knock this dish up in about 1/2 and hour !! :) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you have spiced this. I also appreciated the recipe for curry mix. It will come in handy. I hope all is well and that you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary I am totally hooked on this Cape curry mix it has much better flavours than the commercial currys though I do often combine the two. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yours is definitely:
    Trichodes apiarius

    you can see the difference on Lucie's blog: her 2 last publications!
    I was not aware there were 2 different species until I saw her posts!
    sorry about that!!!
    I'll be back tomorrow!!
    I must feed the guy!!!
    Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another of your delicious looking meals! By the way did I tell you how gorgeous your header is?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Noushka I will study Lucie's post again and see if I can work out the difference! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks JM I have to say I was pretty pleased with that photo! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a flavorful and absolutely delicious looking dish! I love all the spices in it. Great photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmm. It looks and sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy - I'm on my way. Love the header photo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We eat a lot of veggie dishes, often because neither of us remembered to get some meat and we always have loads of vegetables in the house. This sounds great and probably quite adaptable too.

    PS Your header photo is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Faith it really is very tasty and so easy to make. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pam if you like spicy food then you will certainly love this dish. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  18. Becca, let me know ETA and I will come and collect you LOL. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Jean. I have to say, during the summer when I have so much in my garden I pretty much become vegetarian, much cheaper to live from the garden :)Diane

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hot veggies are always a great thing in dead of winter. This looks great, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love curry dishes! I typically order them in a restaurant instead of making them at home, because my husband is not a big curry fan. :(

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for posting this recipe and for the photo, looks really good. Plus healthy to, I will give it a go. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. with all the spices, im sure it taste superb...perfect for the harsh winter.

    more delightful dishes from you:)))

    ReplyDelete
  24. This really looks good and chickpeas are one of my favorites. I’ll try it for sure, it sounds either Moroccan or from India because of the spices. Actually more Indian really but I don’t know from which state in India.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That looks so good Diane, thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fablous recipe! We prefer to eat less meat too. And apparently spices raise the metabolism, so this is all-around super health food

    Merci!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Marjie it was really warming, I think when we had the second 1/2 it was even better for having been in the fridge ovenight. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  28. Linda if your husband is away try this out as it really is very good. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy Frog and I, I hope that you enjoy it as much as we do. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  30. iamclarizze thank you so much for visiting. This really is a tasty dish and we both really enjoy it. Hope to see you back sometime. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  31. Vagabonde, my guess is that it is Indian but as I say it is a recipe I have had around for a long time and I am not sure where it came from. Whatever it is very good :) Hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  32. chubskulit it really is very yummy. Have a good day. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  33. Brittany if you enjoy spicy food than you will certainly enjoy this recipe. We have just been watching the Australian floods, they look horrendous! Hope they are nowhere near you. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  34. I left my comment for this post yesterday but I can't see it :(
    I was tempted by the photo. I appreciate the recipe. My family loved it very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Olga, I have seen no sign of it, maybe it is circulating in outer space:( I am glad you enjoyed this recipe as we love it. Thanks for the feedback. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love this kind of veggie treat ... I'll try it soon, and come back here soon too ...
    Have a nice day
    Hélène

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks Hélène for your visit, I hope that you enjoy this dish as much as we do. See you soon I hope. Take care. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  38. YUM!!! It looks and sounds delicious, Diane! Perfect for these snowy cold days!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Pam it really is a tasty dish and very warming in the weather we have been having. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  40. Taste of Beirut it is so yummy, difficult not to enjoy :) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  41. We are definitely going to try this one Diane. I love soups and stews of the spicy & chunky persuasion and Guaypo loves it very spicy and loves chickpeas as well. As I read through the recipe I began to think it could be North African in origin?

    ReplyDelete
  42. "Simplifried" hope you enjoy we think it is really delicious. I have no idea where I got the recipe from so I would only lie if I told you where it was from :-) Nevertheless you could well be right with N. Africa. Thanks for visiting, hope to see you back. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  43. Well, the problem of origin for me is resolved in any case. It comes from you and we thank you for it. :) (I will however venture a guess that we can all be pretty sure it didn't originate in Texas.) Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  44. Simplifried, glad the origin problem is solved LOL. I really hope that you enjoy the dish as much as we do. Diane

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and pass a comment. Every comment is appreciated and I try to reply to each and every one. All comments are verification free but will come to me for approval first :-)) No Anonymous Users!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.