Wednesday, 24 February 2010
May/June 2007 Part 11
I drove to Bati Leclerc as one of the metal holders that holds the curtain rail had snapped overnight! I had the receipt and thought that I may get a replacement as it was obviously a flaw but I was told because it was more than two weeks since I had bought it I had to buy a new one. They are not particularly cheap so I was not over impressed but arguing in French was out of the question! I came home and replaced the holder and put the curtains back up.
I had a session changing plugs; the English ones were getting on my nerves having to use adaptors all the time.
I painted another coat of paint on the pipes in the corridor and first coat on the radiator. During a break in the rain I went down the garden and pulled radishes, picked a courgette and some chard and rocket. I saw I had aphids on the rhubarb and chard!! Something must be done about that. I had the best salad I have had since being here, nice and fresh from the garden plus herbs also from the garden.
27 May 2007
Raining! I painted the second coat of paint on the radiator in the corridor. Just as I was finishing the door bell rang and it was David come to fix my lock on the kitchen door that leads to the outside. It has been getting more and more difficult to open and close from the inside and David had said that he would come and take a look at it over the weekend. After taking it all to pieces it was as simple as tightening a small screw that was right inside the lock – I know if it should happen again! He and Florence were just off to collect the two boys who had stayed over at Florence’s parents. It meant that the two of them had gone out to dinner last night and had some time together without the kids.
I washed the kitchen/passage door down with sugar soap and then sanded it lightly. We had found it in the barn; it had been removed so that the previous owner could have a hand rail for the small step there. Only after taking the door through did I register that the new tiled floor was higher than the original so the door would not fit! I left a message over at David’s as the family was out. When they returned David came to the rescue, he had all the correct tools and took some off the bottom of the door for me.
28 May 2007
By 17h00 the sky was black again!
I did a bit more painting and went down and checked the veggie garden when we had a short break in the rain. All looks OK and I managed to pick enough for salad for tonight. The apple tree appears to be growing well but as with everything else I am sure it needs some sun. There is water lying all over the place!
I decided to rub down one of the bedside cupboards from the spare room. Not an urgent job but one of the few things left that I can do in the house. If this weather keeps up next week I will have to take the shutters off and try to rub them down and paint them in the barn. The trouble is the light is not very good in there and it is not very warm either but..... The only other job left inside the house was the internal wooden doors but as Nigel is far better than I am with gloss paint he has said he would do them. I am OK with painting the doors that have the glass panels in, there is not such a big painted area!
1 May 2007
I tidied up the spare room and made the beds in there as we may have friends who are on a camping trip dropping in sometime in June. Maybe with all this weather they will put off the idea of a holiday in a tent!!
2 May 2007